There are two options for printing labels to a printer without a direct connection.
Primarily, the lkup_printer codelist can be used to store all printers available for use by the database. You can then select which of the stored printer configurations to use each time you print labels. This option allows all users to access the configured printer and should be considered the primary configuration needed for successful label printing. A user preference is available called “Preferred Printer” which allows you to set the default printer for your account. If this preference is not set, you must choose the printer each time you print labels.
A secondary way to print labels without a direct connection is via the Configure dialog. This allows you to set a particular printer and its associated IP address as the default for your account on the specific computer you are using. The advantage to using this option is that you are able to set a different default label printer for each computer you access BSI from.
To set up the lkup_printer codelist:
- Navigate to the Code Lists manager.
- Edit lkup_printer.
- Add a row for the new printer
- Printer Name—the printer’s name
- Printer Label—the printer’s label
- Printing Method—select the type of label specification that will be printer via this printer.
- Printer Type—the type of printer you’re using. Only applicable to POF label printing.
- POF IP Address—the IP address of the printer. Only applicable to POF label printing.
- POF Port—the port of the printer. Only applicable to POF label printing.
- Drop Folder—the network location where the label file should be placed. Only applicable to Bartender and Sentinel printing.
- Active—select “True/Yes” to be able to use the printer.
- Submit the changes.
To set your default printer via the Configure dialog:
The Configure dialog settings are specific to you and the computer being configured.
- From the BSI client, go to Tools > Configure…
- Fill out fields on the dialog according to the type of label printing to be used:
- POF printing:
- Select the printer from the POF Printers dropdown, which contains a list of BSI supported printers. If you do not see your printer listed, please contact BSI Technical support.
- Enter the Printer IP Address. An example of the general format of an IP address is: "192.168.238.101".
- Enter the Port value of the printer. The port for printers is usually '9100'.
- Sentinel printing:
- Enter the Sentinel INI Path. Regardless of how you choose to print a Sentinel label, this field must be filled in.
- Press OK.