Workflows are customized actions a member can perform on issues matching a certain criteria. For each workflow, you can determine the issue criteria which will make it available and the fields which can be updated during the completion of the workflow. There is a role permission which ensures that a user can only update issues via an existing workflow. This way, it is possible to enforce that certain things are done to an issue when updating it and that they are done in the correct order.
Click Admin > Workflows to access the Workflows screen. On this screen the properties of each existing workflow are displayed, including workflow name, criteria, set values, prompt for, own issues only, comment, run on submit, email only, and notify.
Workflows are automatically added in alphabetical order. To rearrange the order they are shown in, both on the Workflows page and the workflows dropdown menu, select the move icon (three lines) next to the workflow you want to move and drag it to a new location.
To add a new workflow:
- Click Create a new workflow on the bottom of the Workflows screen. The New Workflow screen will open where you can define properties for the workflow.
- Give the workflow a descriptive name. Enter instructions for the workflow.
- If desired, mark the following checkboxes:
- Only display this workflow for issues assigned to the viewing user - If you only want the specified workflow to be in the Workflows dropdown menu for an issue if the person viewing the issue is the person in the Assigned To field.
- Show this workflow as a button at the top of issues - Displays the workflow (when it is available to the viewing user) as a button at the top of the issue, instead of under a workflows dropdown menu.
- Execute the workflow when an issue matching the criteria is submitted - Automatically executes the workflow when specific criteria are met.
- Only execute this workflow when submitting via email - This workflow is only available when the user is submitting via an email.
- Select the roles for which you want the workflow to be available from the dropdown list.
- Select the fields which will be available for he user to update when executing the workflow from the Prompt Variables dropdown list.
- Check the box next to Prompt the user for comment (and attachments) to make selected fields, as well as the comments field, available to the user when executing this workflow. If unchecked, the workflow will execute automatically without giving the user an opportunity to comment.
- Select groups which should be notified when this workflow is completed from the Notify dropdown list.
- Click Create Workflow. An Edit screen opens to allow you to assign criteria under which the workflow will be used.
- The workflow will be created and available to view, edit, and delete from the workflows screen.